G3 heralds the end of APS-C DSLRs

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 23,507Gear list
Like?
No, just like better aps-c won't kill ff
In reply to Trevor G, May 13, 2011

First, let's wait for RAW tests, probably story will be different, that's why the D7k and Pentax k5 go higher in ISO than 6400.

Let's wait to check other parameters as well, like base ISO DR, my bet is the G3 won't touch the performance of latest Sony sensor.

And one can be sure: the next APS-C generation of sensors will be even better than the 16MP Sony. Just like the next gen FF sensors coming from Nikon/Sony or Canon, they will be even better than present ones, already well beyond what APS-C can do.

Secondly, photography, especially for those that really use cameras features, go beyond pure IQ. The handling of a larger body with longer lenses, for example, cannot be matched by lighter cameras. Or when, for portraits, bokeh is essential and a larger sensor is appropriate.

m43 makes a point of being small, so I just ca't see many D300, 60D, 7D, D7k owners moving to m43 except for travel or when compactness is relevant.

So, all in all, it's good to have many options, I have contemplated getting a compact camera like a GF1, but instead got a D7k to update my D80 and will wait a little longer, likely will get a m43 or something like that eventually. For now, my APS-C bodies and lenses are doing a very good job:

D7k + 105mm f/2.8 Micro

D7k + 12-24mm f/4

D7k + 18-105mm

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/

Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Nah,New
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow