G3 heralds the end of APS-C DSLRs

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,904Gear list
Like?
Re: If anything kills APS-C it will be full frame 35mm sensors
In reply to Trevor G, May 13, 2011

I shoot with both a m4/3 Panasonic GF1 and an APS-C Nikon D200. The Sony Nex, Fuji X100, Nikon D3100, D300, D5000, D7000, etc. (not to mention other DSLR brands) all show that APS-C is alive and well as a sensor format. However us APS-C DSLR shooters have been wondering for years if and when full frame 35mm DSLR sensors would drive the final nail into the coffin of the APS-C sensor. It will probably happen, but not until full frame sensors are cheap enough that you can buy an entry level camera body that has one... and we are still years away from that. Besides... for some types of photography smaller sensors make more sense.

It's unlikely APS-C will go away anytime soon, but I suspect we will see full frame sensors trickle down to lower level models until it is just the entry level cameras that have the smaller sensor. Both APS-C and m4/3 (as well as other sensor formats) will also be used in a variety of cameras for years to come, but as the performance gaps narrow most people will shop for a camera based on the characteristics, features, and available lenses and accessories. There won't be so many arguments about differences between m4/3 and APS-C. I already feel there isn't a huge difference between the sensor in my GF1 and the one in my D200. The D200 has a bit more dynamic range and is a bit cleaner at high ISO, but the lenses I use make a much bigger difference in image quality. I use quality lenses on both cameras, so I get quality results out of both that really are quite comparable. So much so that it would make more sense for me to have a GF1 for every day use and a full frame DSLR for specialty shoots...but I can't afford a full frame camera at this time. Right now the main reason I use my DSLR is because I can use fast autofocus f/2.8 zooms with it, as well as Nikon's excellent wireless flashgun controls.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Nah,New
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow