G3 heralds the end of APS-C DSLRs

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Totally agree and will sell my DSLR as soon as I can
In reply to antoineb, May 13, 2011

If youre not getting good results out of a D7k + 85/1.4G combo, then its probably a user issue, imo. Also, good luck trying to replicate that in m43.

antoineb wrote:

I own a Nikon d7k, which is a great DSLR, and I own some nice glass with it

BUT, I'd prefer to own a mirrorless camera.

Until recently their IQ was lower, especially at higher ISO - this seems gone now.

Their AF used to be at least a bit slower but now with AF times below 0.3s the G3 (and the GH2) easily match all DSLRs up to enthusiast (d7k) - and in lower light they become MUCH faster. AND, being contrast-detect, it's more precise, and it requires no adjustments (on which DSLR users are wasting so much time).

Their EVFs used to be limited by technology (at least its cost) but now they're at least as good as the OVFs of entry-level DSLRs (and they're 100% view too).

For those who care, their video capabilities are MUCH superior - for starters, they can actually AF while filming (unlike DSLRs which are advertised to do so, but can't).

So what's missing?

• continuous shooting could be a bit faster, especially buffers could be a bit deeper. But that's easy to solve, especially at a slightly higher price point

• a nice, fast, portrait lens like my 85mm f1.4 G

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Nah,New
Ahh,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow