What to buy: Nikon d7000 or Canon 7D (from a canon user)

Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zambie
Regular MemberPosts: 455Gear list
Like?
What to buy: Nikon d7000 or Canon 7D (from a canon user)
May 13, 2011

Hi everybody,

I know that this is a Nikon forum and hence there would be a general appreciation towards Nikon gear over Canon - however, I still request your opinions.

I'm a Canon user (I have the entry level 1000D from Canon) and feel I've gained sufficient experience to upgrade to a higher performance camera.

I had my mind set up on the Canon 7D - I've been researching it for a couple of weeks now and I was really looking forward to it - infact I had placed an order for it- however, the online retailer out here is out of stock and it'll take easily another 2-3 weeks for it to be in stock - and this has given me a second opportunity to figure out what camera I should really upgrade to.
What I typically want to use the camera for:
1. Landscapes! .... Lots and lots of landscapes

2. HDR - i like doing hdr ... i'ld love to have the camera facilitate this through multiple exposure bracketing.
3. Some high speed wildlife/ sports shooting - panning as well.
4. Shooting pics in music concernts (high iso)
5. Slowly get into video and timelapse! ..

I would occassionally want to take big prints (over 10") as well.

I was liking the 7D 'cos ofcourse I'm an existing canon user and I have the
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (cost me about USD 450-500)
Canon 50mm f/1.8 (USD 100)
Kit lens (18-55mm)

I'm familiar with the UI, the lens sets (I had my mind set on complimenting the 7D with the very good 70-200 L f/2.8 IS) ... so.. basically - I'm famiiliar with what Canon has to offer and I'm aware of what lenses I would want to use.

However, I've done a quick review of the Nikon d7000, and the feature set sounds impressive indeed, the value for money sounds insane!! ...
So, the big questions are:
Q1> For my needs stated above, what would you advise that I buy (and why)?

Would also appreciate if you could help me with

Q.2> how good the metering system, focusing systems and iso performance of the d7000 is compared to the 7D?

Q.3> What is the nikon equivalent of the 70-200 L f/2.8 IS lens? Are lenses in nikon typically more expensive, less expensive or similarly priced compared to their canon counterparts?

Q.4> Are the Nikon external flash systems superior in functionality compared to the Canon Speedlites?
Q.5> Remote shutter release functionality?
Q.6> Any appreciable difference in IQ (for users who've used both d7000 and 7D)?
Q.7> Could you recommend replacements for the lens I have (except the kit lens)?

I know that's a lot of information - but I would greatly, greatly appreciate if you could help me out on this!

zambie's gear list:zambie's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow