Started May 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Klarno
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,605Gear list
Like?
G3-- should I be concerned?
May 13, 2011

I've already ordered a GH2-- about two weeks ago from Amazon. They estimate says I should receive it sometime between the end of this month and the middle of next month. If Amazon's estimate holds true, then I'll still have the GH2 in my hands before anyone will have the G3 in their hands. And I also placed my order knowing full well that the G3 would be soon announced, and that Olympus had a pro m4/3 camera in the pipeline.

I mainly settled on the GH2 for its still image quality as compared to the G2 and E-PL2--video isn't such a huge factor for me, though I'll be happy to explore it.

But of course , as happens with new product announcement that happens right after you order the previous state-of-the-art, irrational buyer's remorse starts to set in.

What we have seen so far from the G3, in the area of still image quality, is a radically improved JPEG engine. That's all fine and good, but I never shoot JPEG. I only shoot RAW, and I don't think we've seen any RAW samples from the new G3.

Should I be concerned? Should I be cancelling my order and waiting for something else? Should I take solace in the fact that the GH2 is a more versatile camera with some very handy features, like the eye sensor and the oversized sensor permitting variable aspect ratios? Should I be waiting for the GH3, which may for all we know face the same distribution problems that the GH2 has? (of course, that opens up the whole can of worms of always waiting for the next big thing and never getting your needs met now.)

-- hide signature --
 Klarno's gear list:Klarno's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 A3000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow