Started May 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greg Henry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,841
Like?
Tripod to recommend to a friend - need suggestions
May 12, 2011

Honestly, the stuff I do, I almost never use a tripod. I have a cheaper one I bought at Wolf on clearance years ago that works fine for me on the rare occasion I need one.

But someone I know has caught the photo bug some time ago and they're creating some nice stuff so far - it's time for them to get a tripod and I don't really know what to recommend to them since I'm not up on that type of gear.

They're into macro I know, and I know they need one that has a center column that will tilt/lean forward and down so they can get the attacked camera (they have a Canon 7D) really close to the subject. Legs that can go low for closer to the ground work, etc., and after discussing it we pretty much came to the conclusion they don't REALLY need carbon as they won't carry it a lot, but DO want a ball head that can handle a 7D plus maybe a mid-range/size lens.

They will most likely order it from B&H as pickings around here are low in the way of stores. So considering B&H's stock, what would someone here recommend in the $150 (or so) price range that has the tilting center column, with a ball head that will support the 7D/lens weight? I'm not sure even what thread size the 7D uses to recommend to them either, so that info would be useful. Aluminum is fine, though if you also see a carbon alternative throw that out as well - they may want to splurge more on one as a "do it right the first time" purchase.

Thanks

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow