Started May 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,409Gear list
Like?
Re: Redesigned Tokina 10-17 FE for Full Frame
In reply to verbiage, May 11, 2011

verbiage wrote:

RicksAstro wrote:

I know the Tokina 10-17 fisheye has been used by full frame people by shaving the built-in hood. I just noticed on B&H that a new version of this lens is being put out without the hood already, and marketing it to full framers as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761633-REG/Tokina_ATX107DXNH_AT_X_107_AF_DX.html

The description in there is a bit confusing - is it or is it not FF-compatible, I wonder (they say at least three times that it's "For Canon APS-C Digital Cameras" but do not include the standard B&H caveat "Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras or for any digital SLR camera with image sensor bigger than APS-C size")

I'm guessing they are still marketing it to APSC since performance won't be ideal on full frame. What I'm assuming they did was to remove the mostly useless hood so they could compete with the new Canon. Since the previous generation could be used on full frame (with the hood "shaved"), I'm assuming the new one with the hood removed can still be used. Very little information about this to be found.

Part of the confusion is the use of the term "full-frame fisheye", which means that it fills the entire APSC frame (no vignetting), not that it's fully compatible with "full frame" cameras.

I bought it from B&H, so if I don't like it or it's not what I think, I can just return it.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow