EPL2 vs GF1

Started Jan 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't get hung up on comparing sensors.
In reply to iggy101, May 11, 2011

iggy101 wrote:

I will be traveling this summer and want to buy a camera that has great IQ. I have taken it down to EPL2 and GF1. I just need advice as to which one to get. Thanks in advance! i would either get the GF1 with the 20mm or the EPL2 lens kit... i could get the GF1 for 600 with the 20mm but the epl1 would be 599 plus tax.
p.s how does the XZ1 compare to these two?

Honestly there is little difference between any of the m4/3 cameras in terms of image quality if you shoot RAW. The GH2 is probably the only real standout that performs a bit better, but even there I would not base the decision on sensor performance.

Buy the camera that is a better fit for your style of photography based on features and performance. The Oly has the advantages of IBIS (more useful if you plan to use legacy lenses) and a better JPEG engine. The GF1 had a significant advantage over the E-PL1 in terms of autofocus speed and accuracy (especially in low light) and general responsiveness/speed. The E-PL2 has improved performance over the previous model so I would expect it to feel closer to shooting with the GF1... but I've never compared the two side by side.

You will read posts from people claiming that one camera or the other offers significantly better IQ, but honestly there isn't much difference. If you shoot JPEG, you will likely be happier with the Oly. However there are a number of happy Panasonic JPEG shooters who have adjusted the camera settings to get the output they want. For RAW there just isn't much difference. The lenses you choose and the techniques you use will make a much bigger impact than the camera body. Generally my six-year-old Nikon D200 with a 17-55mm f/2.8 will produce better images than a new D7000 with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 because the 17-55 is a much better lens. Of course a D7000 with a 17-55mm f/2.8 would be even better, but you won't notice the difference until you get into the higher ISO range. The better lens will make a difference even at base ISO. Also remember that you will probably keep your lenses much longer than your camera body if you decide to upgrade to a newer m4/3 camera in the future.

My point is that people get really hung up on the sensor, and there are more important differences to compare. Look at the features and imagine how you will use the camera. If you can, go to a store that has these cameras in stock so you can try them out. You might just decide that you really prefer one over the other for reasons you can't explain.

And don't worry about it too much. The good thing about m4/3 is that you have both Oly and Panasonic to choose from, and you can always sell one camera and buy another without having to buy and sell new lenses.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow