Started May 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,261Gear list
Like?
P7000 Learning Curve, Part II ...
May 8, 2011

I've had my P7000 only three weeks now. Still learning. Not much more to add to my previous post except for:

1) Manual setting of the AF point seems to work best for getting consistent focus, but it's still not an overall solution. THAT has to come from Nikon at some point.

2) High ISO performance is better than I previously thought. ISO 800 now appears to be the limit for serious work while ISO 1600 is more than ok for small prints and snapshot. Regardless, High ISO settings require that the user fully understand post-processing technique.

3) JPEG output is excellent, but RAW ... as always ... is better and first rate. In fact, the RAW output from the P7000 can be pushed hard in all kinds of directions without serious damage or destruction to the original file. This is a first for a point and shoot as far as I'm concerned.

4) The Exposure Compensation dial and the Histogram are tied together for 100% accuracy. I ALWAYS end up with the shot I wanted when I trust the histogram.

Here are some of my latest P7000 images, all shot in Washington DC a few days ago. All are RAW conversions. There are a few ISO 1600 shots. This is the first outing where I put the P7000 through some serious paces. I threw the book at it ... high contrast, low light, big scenes, little scenes, close-ups and wide shots. The P7000 never let me down. Yes, there's some noise. But it doesn't bother me. There are other qualities to the P7000's imaging that override any concerns I have about "noise." P7000 images have a certain "alive" quality that's missing is so many other cameras, including some big DSLRs. An absolutely amazing camera ....

WARNING: these are large files and may take some time to load. I'll post only a few here and then some more in subsequent posts.
Portrait Gallery, Washington DC:

American Museum of Art, Washington DC:

At The Farmer's Market, Downtown Washington DC:

Abraham Lincoln Inaugural Hall:

Gallery Place, The Verizon Center, Washington DC:

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
http://www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow