Started May 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,101Gear list
Like?
New to making printer profile - some questions
May 8, 2011

I got an xrite colorMunki and have now done 2 profiles - one for canon canvas and one for premeirart luster.

I got this device as I was unable to get a good color on the canon canvas using canon's profile.

So I followed the rather simple directions and make a profile, printed my test image and wow, what an improvement over canon's profile. Great!

OK, so I figured I'd do the paper. Same procedure followed but the test print, while having more accurate colors than the canvas on the xrite passport in the shot, the skin tones are terrible, corpse like, and overall too much ink/too much black ink at least, is being put down.

I compared it to a test print using the suggested profile (canon glossy photo paper) and this one looks great - skin tone is fine and not too much ink (too much means no detail in the black areas of my test print).

So, what am I doing wrong? I would think my own profile should be better than the 'generic' one...it is on the canvas but not on the paper.

Munki suggests letting their chart print dry 10 minutes before scanning. I did that on pass 1, then it prints a second chart to be scanned - that dried a few hours (hey, I had to leave...). I doubt ambient light should be an issue, but it was daylight on the first one and I had a room light on for the second scan...

For those of you that do your own profiles are there are tricks or techniques or 'gotchas' to watch out for?

Suggestions? Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

If I knew how to take a good picture I'd do it every time.

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow