Corrupted firmware / storable image count?

Started Mar 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
GeorgeH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,923Gear list
Like?
Olympus E-510/520 Hard Reset
In reply to GeorgeH, May 7, 2011

I found the answer at http://www.ayton.id.au/gary/photo/photo_43rds_firm.htm

I applied the hard reset procedure from the E-510. It works for the E-520 as well.

1. Select P on the mode dial.
2. Open the card door and turn on the camera.
3. Hold down the Menu and the OK buttons at the same time for 5 seconds.
4. Olympus E-520 is displayed.

5. Release and again hold down the Menu and the OK buttons at the same time for another 5 seconds.
6. Reset has been done is displayed
7. Press the OK button.
8. Shut the camera off

I reformatted the card again (for the 1000's time), and behold now it is showing around 1600 photos remainindgintead of 190.

GeorgeH wrote:
Hi BruceB609 and everyone:

I have an E-520 and have the same problem as what you described except my counter is a 190. It does not matter have card I put in, 4 GB, 2 GB, 1GB, 512MB, 128MB, it jus says 190. If I change it to RAW, it'll say 179. It did the menu reset but still no effect. I'm leaving the battery out for now hoping the memory settings will be deleted in a few days. As I am waiting, does anyone have any other suggestions or solutions?

Thank you!

BruceB609 wrote:

Is there anyway to replace firmware yourself if you have a corrupted current firmware or does the camera have to go in for Olympus servicing?

Very strange. This is the issue in detail:

Using an empty, formatted 8GB SanDisk CF card, or Olympus 2GB XD, (any card I have) the storable pictures count appears correct in any RAW or RAW + JPEG combination on the control panel on my E-520 ( 324 to 472 RAW). However, when I switch to any JPEG setting, from LSF to SB, the count is fixed at 845 frames. I then shot one frame to bring the count down to 844. I erase the shot I just took and the storable frame count remains at 844 rather than return to 845. I repeat the sequence and the count is 843. I'm then stuck at 843. I then place the same cards in my E-3 and see that I have over 9000 frames available. Is this a firmware corruption problem and if so, how do I fix it or do I have to send the camera to Olympus? I have the latest, 1.1 firmware in the camera. I reset the 520 to factory default and also formatted the cards with the E-3 with no avail. I also removed any power supply for two weeks to see if it was any kind of residual issue. That didn't work either.
--
BruceWB

GeorgeH's gear list:GeorgeH's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow