Started May 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Kenco 1.4 PRO 300 teli-converter
May 5, 2011

Just feedback on my purchase of a Kenco 1.4 PRO 300 teli-converter. I’ve owned Tamron 1.4 and 2X teli-converters in my film days and would mount them up on my Sigma 400 F5.6 on my Nikon bodies and they did ok. I was trying to get a little more reach for my 70-200 F4 L lens on my 60D body. I looked back in my threads from early 2006 and some positive comments from Daniella on the kenco mentioned above She was shooting a lot of BIF at the time with the 400 F5.6 and doing very well at it. Anyway she sold me on the 1.4 at the time.

I don’t remember what got in the way but I wasn’t able to get one till a week ago. I must say I’m well pleased I can see very little quality or light loss with the 1.4 and it seems that the 70-200 F4 L can take pushing the resolution to the 1.4 numbers very well. If you have the IS version it would be even better as I understand it’s sharper. You can close focus down to around 3 feet close enough to just get an eye and part of a cheek focusing on a human face. Depth of field would be shallow but as you back off of the subject a little, it helps. 6 or 7 ft might help the Depth of field a bit

In hind sight I wasn’t prepared for the sharpness and clarity of this converter. I have not used the Canon converters which might be better but for the $219.00 at Amazon This is worth the bucks. Just don’t get stuck in the performance you experienced off of converters from film days Also with the 1.4 all of the AF points are working so far..!

Foggy

foggy's gear list:foggy's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow