Started May 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim88
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
35mm equivalence
May 4, 2011

EF-S lenses even though designed for APS-C sensors are not giving you the printed mm correct? I understand the 18-55mm IS gives you a 35mm equivalent of 29-88. Is that correct? If the lens is designed for APS-C why don't they call it a 29-88mm IS? Maybe an industry standard to measure/ label all lenses with an absolute focal length?

The reason I ask is I want to really understand these numbers. I am researching getting a new lens like a the Tamron 18-200 or maybe Sigma 18-250. (I have the 18-55 and 55-250 IS). I am sick of changing lenses all the time and would like wide range for both pics of my kids and birds and things.

I think the way I read things those lenses at 18mm will give me the same field of view as the Canon EF-S lenses right?

A related question is if I set my 18-55 at 50mm would I see the same field of view as a 50mm prime? If the above is correct then I think so. Due to price I might obtain that first. It would be 80mm - I see many posts about the Canon 50mm and people loving it. How useful is 80mm really? Does it always feel like you are 'zoomed' in too far? Or do you find it a good general purpose lens for sharp pictures of family and friends and also landscape.

I'd appreciate any insights from experts and owners of these lenses. I've been at it with a Canon XS (1000D) for 3 years now and am really enjoying it and think I'm finally learning enough to spend some more $ on it. Thanks!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow