D300 v D700

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,358
Like?
Another piece of possible hardware upgrade and speed improver...
In reply to bobn2, May 4, 2011

bobn2 wrote:

JasonED wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

JasonED wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

If you use the grip with 8 Alkalines, then it is lower , 6V, but still enough to provide 8FPS.
--
Bob

I might be missing something here but since when were Alkaline AA batteries only outputting 0.75 volts each?
--
The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

They are in two parallel stacks of four, 4x 1.5 = 6.
--
Bob

This does not appear to be the case. I pulled the battery tray out of my D300 grip, touched the multi meter to the contacts and get 10.2 volts from a freshly charged set. 8x1.2V should be 9.6 but most of the individual cells are reading closer to 1.3V so I believe they are in simple series.

Thanks for the clarification, obviously I've been working with false information. In which case we begin to see what the reasoning is - presumably it's about limiting the input current to the voltage converter when it's operating from the base 7.4V. It's still essentially a firmware limit, but one there for some reason, as Olyflier suggested.

How about the stepping motor built into the camera body for aperture control? Are they all same in all cameras? Maybe there has been an upgrade even there between the D300s and the D300/D700. Maybe the motor in the D300s requires less current for the same speed and force? Maybe the D300s is completely different from the D300 and D700 in this respect and inherited the same motor as the D3 has while the other cameras have a different solution to this...

As I said, I have no answers, but I am pretty sure the correct answer is more than just a firmware update.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow