Canon G12 problem, buttons and zoom don't respond - camera frozen?

Started May 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ellipsis85
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Canon G12 problem, buttons and zoom don't respond - camera frozen?
May 4, 2011

I bought a G12 when I was living in Korea in December 2010. I have been travelling on a backpacking trip continuously since January so it has been getting daily use. Now I’m in Italy and it has started acting up.

Sometimes I turn the camera on and the focus immediately locks with a green square and won’t change, the zoom won’t work, the menu and display buttons won’t work, the playback function will work but then the delete button won’t work. If I turn it off and on again sometimes it goes back to normal, other times the same problem occurs for up to a couple of hours. Changing the battery doesn’t help (I have 2), I tried returning to factory default settings and that didn’t help either. It’s like the camera is frozen or a button is stuck, but all the buttons depress fine and the zoom lever works, but nothing happens when I use them. The shutter works and I can take pictures, but only at the settings it freezes at, the exposure, focus and zoom don’t work. It happens randomly in 'auto' 'low light 'scn' and 'p' (maybe others but I don't use them really)

I have taken good care of it, have a hard case, haven’t dropped it or got it wet, although I don’t doubt there is some dust inside, I’ve been in some fairy dusty places.

From google I can see this doesn’t seem to be a problem anyone else has had. I’m not that good at cameras, I don’t generally get to the more advanced settings the G12 has, so I’m not sure what to do. I’m still travelling and I think the warranty is only valid in Korea. Does anyone have any idea what I could do to reset the camera in some way or figure the problem out? I just keep turning it off and on and eventually it will work for a while, but I worry that is going to get worse.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow