I dropped my camera. How do I make sure everything is OK?

Started May 4, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
I dropped my camera. How do I make sure everything is OK?
May 4, 2011

I did something stupid, and need some help. I dropped my camera out of my backpack:

• It was about a meter above a concrete floor.

• The camera (Nikon D90) was attached to the 18-105 lens (about 700g + 420g = 1100g = 2 1/2 lb)

• The camera was in a neoprene cover (LensCoat BodyBag, about 1-2mm thick) with lens cap and reversed hood on the lens.

• I didn't hear anything crack

• But I didn't see how it landed, either, so I don't know what was the point of impact

What tests can I do to make sure that I didn't break anything? Here's what I can think of:

• Physical inspection of glass, lens mount, camera body (no issues found; no dents, cracks or other marks)

• Test zoom and focus at various combinations of focal lengths and apertures (brief check and everything works as it did before).

I suppose that I may have knocked some things out of alignment; how can I test that? Is there anything else I can do? Brick walls? Point sources of light?

I know I was stupid, so I'll ignore all the recriminations and focus on the solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow