Flat view
hymanshu
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Do you shoot pics above ISO800?
May 3, 2011

Hi all,

Greetings from India ...

I am Canon S2 IS owner, and am planning to buy a DSLR, but I am not able to choose which one.

First, let me tell you about my photography style, and my requirements. I am a photographer by hobby, and usually shoot landscapes, macro (flowers mostly), portraits, and at parties (usually low light conditions). I use camera once in 2-3 months (vacation, family get-together, or party). Flower photography is exceptional, but that too does not happen every week. Once a month, may be. I rarely take prints, and use pics to share online or PC.

My options:

• I am thinking of D5100, but am not sure whether to go for it as its a bit expensive.

• My other options are D3100, or 550D. Not sure about Sony NEX5, so I am not considering it.

• I'll buy the body now, and will buy lenses later. So, I need a cam with good kit lens.

• Will upgrade cam body after 5-6 years.

• I've felt D3100 and 550D at shops, and both feel good. I liked the playback zoom speed of D3100.

In India, I can get the following at the same price:
Nikon D5100 OR Nikon D3100+55-200mm VR lens OR Canon 550D + 50mm 1.8 lens

What do you suggest, which one to go for?

My important concerns:

• Nikon D5100 and 550D has good low light sensors, but how often do you shoot in ISO 800 or above?

With my S2 IS, I never shoot above ISO 200, and with a DSLR I can use upto ISO 800, but does one really need to go above that?

• Q for D3100 owners - How good is Nikon D3100's low light performance?

• I like the articulated screen of D5100, just like S2 IS, and am not sure whether to go for it. As per dpreview, the pics are really good, but the position of buttons and shortcuts is not. So, is it worth buying? How critical is placement of buttons when one buys a camera?

• Q for 550D owners - I've read that kit lens gives soft pictures, is it true? I feel that 18mp is too too much of pic size, and I don't think anyone uses full rez of the image, you crop or resize. True?

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow