Started May 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
trailrider2
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
DIY DSLR K-X “Cable” Cable Release
May 3, 2011

I have seen people make cable release brackets that utilize the tripod mounting socket on the bottom. This bracket holds a cable release with its plunger directly over the shutter release button. I did not like this design. I wanted to have my camera flush on my tripod and not have to fiddle with the bracket while mounting my camera to the tripod. Someone on the forum mentioned using a ¼”-20 tripod mount screw to flash hot shoe adapter. They are on eBay. I bought this one since it had two locking rings and it was from the US. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200598595922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I bought a strip on aluminum that was 1/8” thick by ½” wide and 3ft long at Lowes. I chose aluminum since it is easier to bend and tap. I wanted to tap the cable release into the bracket. The cable release threads are a special tapered thread that you will not be able to match. I tested all sizes metric and standard. M3 x 0.5 fits the best. This is the size tap I used. You get almost a full turn of locking. I have read other people using a 1/8” nut but can not confirm this. I used a vice, piece of pipe and hammer to bend the aluminum strip. Try to avoid bending a full 90 degrees. It will weaken the aluminum. My first attempt broke when I tried to undo a bend for adjustment. Measuring and getting the bends accurate is difficult. It seems the metal does not always bend exactly where you like it to. On my second attempt I first made a template out of coat hanger to use as a guide. The last step was to use a crescent wrench to put a twist at the shutter end to get it to line up. It is not perfectly centered but it works. I am using an air cable release. Some people say an air release is best for isolating any movement. I just happened to have one. I can get a half shutter press for focus and hold it followed by full shutter actuation. It surprisingly takes quite a bit of squeeze for actuation. I am going to buy a regular cable release to provide shutter locking capability in the future. I have read some people put an eraser on the end of the cable release plunger to protect the shutter button. My plunger does not stick out far enough. I cut a circular piece of packing tape to protect the shutter button from getting scratched. I now have cable release capability for exposure bracketing and HDR. If I want to also have mirror lockup for these modes I can also use live view.

Good Luck
Mike

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow