D7000- 30 minute exposure limit?

Started May 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,577
Like?
Re: D7000- 30 minute exposure limit?
In reply to Steve9, May 3, 2011

Steve9 wrote:

Thanks Graystar! Obviously (noob), I did not read those tidbits in my troubleshooting. So, aside from purchasing a MC-DC2 cable shutter release, is there a way to start a "bulb" exposure and walk away for an hour or two? It would seem that "bulb" requires you to hold the shutter release button down for as long as you want the shutter open. Self-timer in "bulb" mode results in a 1/4 sec exposure.

Well, I have bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/370499715837

It's really an MC-36 (which is much more than an MC-DC2) for the lower range of Nikon cameras that do not have the 10 pin plug. It can be certainly programmed to more than 30 minutes of exposure (in fact to 100 hours less 1 second), but I have not checked it yet with such long times.

I do not know, but it is not inconceivable that the D7000 has a built in prohibition against shutter times longer than 30 minutes. This could be done to protect the battery from completely discharging or to prevent possible overheating of the shutter actuator for example.

I will just have to check it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,

Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow