Started May 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Oilman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,670Gear list
Like?
The GREAT Oilman-Yogi Road Trip
May 2, 2011

A few weeks ago Olga had mentioned to me that she was heading down to the High Island bird Refuge with some friends and asked if I want to come along. On another thread a photographer mentioned that mentioned that the Houston photographers in the DP site ought to get together. So I mentioned to Yogi about heading to the High Island Refuge on that thread. A few days before the event, Olga mentioned that she could not make it. So it was just me and Yogi.

Yogi probably had better days. First I made him wait for forty minutes for me at Winnie Texas (about 100 miles away for me 60 for Yogi, while made my way through Houston construction traffic at three miles an hour. Then, after about 1.5 hours at the refuge, his battery went dead. But I got some great pictures and I suspect he did to.

The High Island Refuge was a cooperative venture between the Houston Audubon Society and Amoco Oil Company which owned the old oil field and the land upon which the refuge was built. There are actually two parts to the refuge, the Boy Scout Woods, which is full of upland birds (lots of warblers) and the Smith Island Rookery. We went to the rookery. The rookery is a large island surround by a moat. The moat is the lake. Alligators patrol the moat, thereby preventing photographer form getting too close. Around the periphery of the lake are a series of observation platforms. The birds are on the island. Did I say birds? I meant thousands, maybe tens of thousands of birds . It is a rookery, so bird’s nests are everywhere.

The bad news was it was pretty overcast. The sunset was a big disappointment. The good news is that the overcast sky kept the crowds down and Yogi and I had no problem with places to set up and shoot. We both got some great shots.

Here are some of mine – hot off the presses. Hopefully Yogi will post his as well

I'm hungry Mom Snowny Egret and chick

Lined up and ready for refueling: Snowy Egret and Chick

Guarding the eggs: Roseate Spoonbill

Heading to a different tree: Cattle Egret

Cruising: Roseate Spoonbill in flight

Olga, You missed a great time
--
The first camera bag you buy is always too small

http://www.flickr.com/geofiz

Oilman's gear list:Oilman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow