5D People

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
Re: bcphoto2 I have the Zorki Jupier 9 85mm f/2 screw mount lens
In reply to bcphoto2, May 1, 2011

Oh, so your Zorki is a M42 (Pentax) mount. I see, yes I have the M42 to EOS EF mount. I also have the M42 to Nikon F mount.

My Zorki 85mm f/2 is in M39 Leica Thread Mount and that's not the same as the M42 lens mount. In fact all my Leica Screw Mount lenses are in M39 mount.

If I had any Leica Lenses in M42 mount then I could adapt them today but I do not.

My M42 to EOS mount is black and has no lugs that protrude into the camera body area, it has three lugs along the perimeter but these are the EOS EF mounting lugs. So I guess there are at least 3 types of M42 to EOS adapters.

bcphoto2 wrote:

Peter,

I bought one of the Chinese made M42 to EOS adapters on Ebay. It is the more expensive Focus Confirm adapter with the electronic chip and is a tight, precise fit and works fine.,

There are some differences in the adapters. Some have a shortened bayonet lug that won't engage the lens lever on the 1D series cameras so the lever needs to be blocked open. Ideally finding an adapter with the longer lug would be best but as far as I can tell no one including those that sell the adapters know there are two types.

If using one with a short lug and the lever is left alone, the camera will not engage the focus confirm chip since the camera thinks there is no lens mounted.

If you're looking at the camera side of the adapter with the red dot at the 12 o'clock position, the lug in question is at the 3-4 o'clock area. In photos some are visably longer than others.

I have also run into this problem with extension tubes.

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow