Any tips/tools to help out hands which are getting a bit more unsteady every day?

Started May 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brecklundin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954Gear list
Like?
Any tips/tools to help out hands which are getting a bit more unsteady every day?
May 1, 2011

I'm have some physical probs which are slowly getting a bit worse and now I am finding it quite difficult to hold the camera on target for even my shortest glass. And while my K20D has OK stabilization it's not enough to help. I suspect it's because my movements tend to be rather abrupt and at the worst times.

I do make a conscious effort to keep the elbows in, try and support the body with my left hand under it rather than gripping it on the side. BTW, that is a big drawback to smaller lenses, there is no lense body to hold onto which really does allow me to be more steady but then my hands get tired holding the added weight of a large-ish lense.

I use a monopod now and then and it does help. But I am sure you know a monopod can be great but also it can really be intrusive, especially in a crowded location. It does make a dandy walking stick when on a hike.

Bracing yourself is fine when there is a convenient tree or whatever but as you know those things are not always handy. And we won't even discuss getting down on the ground. Would love to if someone wants to tag along to help me back up. hahahaha...

So any tips, or even contraptions? I have looked at some of those shoulder stabilizing braces discussed in the thread recently and am going to give one of them a shot.

Basically I sense I am getting to where it's going to mean a monopod or tripod only in not to distant a time. Hey we do what we have to, right?

-- hide signature --

Real men shoot Pentax because we were born with our own Canons!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just shoot with a PnS but it always makes me happy! :D}

brecklundin's gear list:brecklundin's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow