starting from scratch, what lens combination would you go for?

Started Apr 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
reprobate
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
starting from scratch, what lens combination would you go for?
Apr 30, 2011

Hi folks,

I'm starting out from scratch, and basically I want to cover UWA through to approx 300mm. My aim is to cover this range and have a play, then pick up a couple of good prime lenses once I've figured out where I want them, and upgrade as necessary. I haven't purchased a camera yet, thinking a 60 or 600 to start with if I go Canon, so I have plenty of kit lens options available to me (18-55/135/200, 15-85 at varying prices obviously), or the body-only option.

So... if you had your time again, how would you go about this?

I'm figuring I will want a UWA, so the question is whether I go for a kit 18-55/18-135 and a 70-200/300, or just an 18-270 or similar... also I guess whether I am better off going for a teleconverter and a 200 or straight to a 300...

Any suggestions of a decent combination of lenses to achieve this would be much appreciated, I've read a lot of info in the last few days, and now have some idea of specific lenses and their qualities, but would really like some info on preferred combinations from those much more experienced than myself!

Thanks for your help,
Ben

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow