Are You a Prime or Zoom Shooter?

Started Apr 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
VaLeX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
primes till the day i'll die
In reply to Dale108, Apr 29, 2011

I really don't like zooms. And it's not primarily an issue of image quality, but of seize and maneuverability. On the other hand, the type of photos I take doesn't require zoom, but frequently require f2 apertures: pictures of my family indoor and outdoors, street and tourism (here's not about aperture every time, but about unfrightening camera).

And there's something more: I feel that a prime forces you to focus on composition - but that's just a idiosyncrasy.

The longest lens I've used on a regular bases is the Fa77. I have a Tamron 70-300 but it's just gathering dust: I bought it for some wildlife photo, but this just isn't my piece of cake.

On the other hand I do feel that Pentax is lacking a fast prime in the wide (but not superwide) area: a DA anywhere from 17 to 24, at F2. But maybe, with the good capabilities for high ISO of K5, the DA 21 might become an option.

At the moment, I'm using only an FA 31 and an FA 77. I'm tempted by the FA 43 and I dream at a DA 19, F2.

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BothNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow