If shooting at f/22, is a fast 1.8 lens still considered fast?

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Senior MemberPosts: 2,815
Re: so here is nikons final answer
In reply to edwardaneal, Apr 29, 2011

Thanks for getting this straight from Nikon. I was always told that faster glass benefits the Nijkon AF system. In fact, my own experience would seem to support this. But recently I've read a number of comments that this was not the case. One poster even referred to some kind of "baffles" that would damp the light down to f/5.6 even if the lens were capable of much wider apertures.

There are many things that affect AF performance. Fast glass IS one of them.

edwardaneal wrote:

As you know from my post above I followed up my first question to nikon with a very simple and staight forward second question as follows:

"so are you saying that a Nikon DSLR like the D300 can in fact focus more accurately in low light with a f/1.4 lens or an f/2.8 lens than it might be able to under the same conditions with an f/5.6 lens

Thanks again"

And this is his answer

"Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (David D.) 04/27/2011 10:45 PM

Sure, a fast lens lets more light in to the AF system which allows it to work more effectively and thus acquire and lock focus faster. Thanks

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com "

so Nikon has now flat out stated that f/1.4 and f/2.8 lenses " let in more light into the af system which allows it to work more effectively and thus acquire and lock focus faster "

Personally I think this pretty much settles our debate

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
SB800, SB600 and other misc lighting equipment

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold– 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow