Started Apr 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
billorg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099
Like?
Help with pasty fleshtones D7000
Apr 29, 2011

I am new to the D7000 and am trying it out. I have always used Canon and I'd like to ask you to answer 2 questions for me.

1. The first is that any time I shoot with a Nikon, the fleshtones never look realistic for some reason. They often have a pasty, orangey look. I shot comparison pictures using a D7000 and my Canon 7D. I used the same lens, a Tamron 28-75 2.8 on both cameras with their respective mounts. I was actually wanting to look at Nikon's jpg noise so I shot the Nikon in RAW to compare with jpg. I did a small amt of in-camera processing (see pic). Anyway, can you tell me what causes the fleshtone to look this way as compared to the Canon? It's not just an exposure difference. What can I do to improve things using the in-camera RAW or is it just as good as one can expect? My computer won't run any RAW programs at the moment so had to use the in-camera tools (which I might add is a REAL positive thing for me if it works half decently).

2. Second question is why does the Canon show so much more DOF than the Nikon both shot at f2.8 with the same lens? It's not just this one set of comparisons, but all that I did were consistent in this way.

Thank you for helping someone new to Nikon - I really want to learn from those who are used to the D7000 and Nikon in general. Bill

Here are the pics, Canon first: f2.8 1/80 ISO 3200

Nikon D7000: f 2.8 1/100 ISo 3200

Here are the same pictures where I accentuated the midtones so you could see the color differences better:

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow