ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peter doncaster
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
Focus info. D300s 17-55mm 2.8f
Apr 28, 2011

Hi
My camera is the D300s,with the 17-55mm 2.8f none VR lens.

Could anyone give me some advice, why when l am taking photos of my family or dogs in the garden or just taking a picture of a nice short view, when l look at the results, l find the areas that are pin sharp are not the areas of importance,ie, a wall just behind the person,or grass between the two dogs,and not the person or dogs.

Or if i take a group, there could be one person slighty further forward and that person would be out of focus while others were not.

I have taken too many shots now where l am getting the wrong parts of the photo in focus. I am aware of front and back focus and and have my focus chart available. If i am using it properly?

Another confusion is how many focus points to use. 9/21/51/ 513D.My logic seems wrong when choosing S or C servo. And the right focus points. What really happens when you choose Single Servo with single point AF. You us the one focus point , but what about all the other areas of the photo you want to be in focus.(I know there is Dynamic area and auto area AF which i think dont function in single servo AF.)

My aperture was set fairly wide, 2.8 to 4f, as it was dusk, but have same results in bright sunshine. and with flash still focused lovely on the garage wall and not my friend. I am desperate to find out what i am doing wrong.Its a little personal to put my whole family photos on here to show you but may consider it if needs be.l hope l explained enough, if not l will try and converse more.Just a little help to give me something to try would be a start. Peter

peter doncaster's gear list:peter doncaster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow