Started Apr 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Eztarget
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
HS20 going back .... (auto focus)
Apr 28, 2011

Well my 30 day trial time from Amazon is almost up. I got the camera back on April 10th and spent a week in Disney-World (Orlando, FL). The pictures I took at Disney were so so but I attribute that mostly to my lack of knowledge about settings and learning curve with this camera. My photography experience is simply just point and shoot.

I haven't bought a new digital camera since (wait for it) 2001. I was replacing an Olympus C-4040 to show you how old my camera was. BTW the C-4040 was still taking great pictures it just was so slow and I was down to one working 16 MB card which held a whooping 16 pictures (LOL).

I did experience the heat sensor warning on the first few days but the camera never shutdown. When I came home to Upstate NY it was a lot cooler so the sensor never came on again but I did download and apply the firmware patch anyhow just in case.

The MAIN reason for me returning the camera is simply the poor auto-focus when zoomed out. Yes I understand that 720mm is a long way but this camera just seeks way too much for my liking. We've had a beaver move into our pond and I've been using him as a zoom test. No matter what I set the camera to the AF struggles at times for no apparent reason. The beaver isn't too happy about being photographed while he's building his dam so AF is crucial to capture him from a distance. The HS20 has struggled badly here. I've also noticed it struggling when photographing moving people at full zoom as well.

Maybe it's just me and my lack of photographer skills but I think I see why some people are complaining about the slow AF on this guy. For $500 bucks the AF while zoomed on this camera should be a lot better. Maybe I'm just expecting too much who knows?

Maybe some here can talk me through some settings to help with this but for now I'm thinking of returning this guy and testing out the Sony HX100V.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow