ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
Att: X100 Owner's: The X100 vs. Sony NEX5:
Apr 28, 2011

As I impatiently wait for the X100 to hit the local dealer's shelf, I am looking at the competition and am wondering, is it really worth the wait? So, I've done a little comparison from what I have read and the reviews that have come out.
The X100 vs. the Sony NEX5:
X100 Likes: Beautiful body design. Great rangefinder. Supposedly great IQ.

X100 Dislikes: Complaints on this forum of quirks. Although it's listed as a compact camera, it really isn't a compact camera but probably the largest of compact cameras. Infact it's larger then my old Oly 8080 wideangle.

Sony NEX5: Likes: It reportedly has great IQ. Not nearly as many complaints of quirks. More versitile lens selection. It's $500 cheaper then the X100. The French review,'Les Numeriques' (see post below) gave the first comparison review of both cameras, and gave the NEX5 five star award while they gave the X100 four stars.

NEX5 Dislikes: Very wierd body design, infact very awkward, out of balance and out of perportion in asthetic appearance. Even though it has one of the smallest bodies, with it's huge lens barrel, it is quite bulky and would require a strange looking pouch to hold it. No rangefinder. No built in flash.

So, this is the frustration I'm finding myself in: I could buy a very wierd looking camera now that has known high IQ with fewer quirks and $500 cheaper, no rangefinder and no flash, or a beautiful looking camera with known quirks, with great rangefinder and a built in flash.
What it all comes down to is IQ. Which camera has the best image quality?

I am still a film camera user with my Leica R 6.2, Leica CM, and Hasselblad, so in photograhy, image quality is of the highest importance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow