If shooting at f/22, is a fast 1.8 lens still considered fast?

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,251Gear list
Like?
I asked Nikon - and they say it is bad information
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 27, 2011

I just e-mailed Nikon about an hour ago - this is what I asked them

"I was recently told by a camera store that Canon DSLR's have special auto focus sensors that allows them to take advantage of the extra light and contrast provided by lenses with apertures that are f/2.8 and faster. I was also told that Nikon DSLR's do not have any sensors like this and will not auto focus any better in low light with an f/2.8 lens than they will with an f/5.6 lens

Can you please tell me if this is true

Thank you"

this is the reply I just got

" Subject
Fast lenses

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (David D.) 04/27/2011 04:14 PM
HI

Thanks for the question. It sounds like you got some pretty bad info! I'd guess what you were told is related to the difference between cross-type and line-type AF sensors. In an autofocus system some of the spots use cross type sensors (which are what it sounds like, two sensors that cross) and some sensors are just a single line.

A cross-type sensor is generally better because it can focus on a subject that has horizontal and vertical contrast while a line type is best for just horizontal subjects.

In some model Canon cameras (their lower end I believe) they have more cross type sensors than our comparable cameras but only the center AF point benefits from the faster lens in their system

Of course there is so much more to performance than the type of AF sensor that all of this is really just speculation since the camera's CPU, lens CPU, lens motor, actual subject, lighting condition, etc are really what determine performance.

I hope this helps.

-David

Thanks for using Nikon products!
Nikon Inc. (USA) Support / Service
http://support.nikontech.com "

sounds to me as if David is saying that Nikons AF does in fact benefit from faster lenses and the following comment: "only the center sensor benefits from faster lenses in their system" sure makes it sound to me like he is saying that with Nikon you dont have this limitation.

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
SB800, SB600 and other misc lighting equipment

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold– 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f16New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow