If shooting at f/22, is a fast 1.8 lens still considered fast?

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
noirdesir - really?
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 27, 2011

Noirdesir

you posted here that there was no advantage in AF with lenses faster than f/5.6 as if it were a hard fact in every possible mode.

you then admit that in other focus modes such as would be used in live view that the AF system could in fact take advantage of the faster glass

so you misled people

You also told the people here that because if the design than NO nikon phase detect AF system can take advantage of apertures faster than F/5.6

again you misled people by posting things as if they were fact and now you have admitted you are speculating

So basically everything you posted has been worthless - you have given no facts to back up your statements and in fact you have admitted that your statements are based on an unverified assumption that Nikon used a limited design of phase detect auto focus like the one in your only example*

I on the other hand have posted a link to Canons statement that one of the advantages of faster glass is better low light focus (this article makes no reference to it only being an advantage on some of their cameras that have special AF sensors so it would seem it must be an advantage on all - if not they are risking getting in trouble for false adversing)

I have also posted a link to an article lensrental.com that also states that faster lenses auto focus better with Phase detect AF systems because with more light comes increased contrast - this article makes no reference to it only being a Canon feature and is backed by references to 13 other sources.

And finally I have posted a link to a scientific cross brand test of focus accuracy that shows that on every brand of camera the highest degree of focus accuracy was achieved using the manufactures lenses with apertures between f/2.8 and f/4)

who do you think the people should trust ? My links to reliable sources and an actual test - or your misstatements and speculation?

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
SB800, SB600 and other misc lighting equipment

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold– 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f16New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow