If shooting at f/22, is a fast 1.8 lens still considered fast?

Started Apr 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
your assumption limits you
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 27, 2011

I understand your example, but it assumes that nikon does not place any of their cross type sensors to take advantage of f/2.8 and faster glass like Canon does.

As you know Canon has this feature in all of its DSLRs except for the very bottom of the line. in their mid range cameras like the EOS 20d the cross type sensor that enables this is in fact only active when faster lenses are attached, from what I have been able to find out in their higher end camera these sensors actually stay active all the time.

So tell me why do you make the assumption that none of the cross type sensors used in the various Nikon af systems have also been placed to be able to take advantage of f/2.8 and faster glass?

seriously - you really think that Canon can have sensors that see and work with f/2.8 and faster lenses in virtually every DSLR they make - yet Nikon is to stupid to do the same thing in even one of its bodies, even the top of the line with it 51 sensors and 15 of them being cross type yet Nikon still cant figure out how to place even one of these in such a way that it can see the additional light and contrast that faster glass offers

You keep showing pictures of an AF system that is limited - a system that cant take advantage of faster lenses, but clearly your picture does not represent the only way that the sensors in a Phase Detect AF system can be placed.

As a side note I notice that you still havent answered my question as to why in the seientific cross brand test I linked it showed that with every brand of DSLR the highest AF accuracy was achieved with lenses from F/2.8 to F/4.

-- hide signature --

My kit - D200, 10.5mm f/2.8D, 35mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.4G & 70-300VR
SB800, SB600 and other misc lighting equipment

Lenses worth mentioning owned and sold– 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 35-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4D, 60mm f/2.8D, 85mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2D-DC, 180mm f/2.8, 300mm f/4D-ED

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
f16New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow