Started Apr 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PaulRivers
Senior MemberPosts: 7,400
Like?
No more 1920x1200 laptop screens after this year
Apr 26, 2011

First, I apologize for cross-posting, I just wanted to let people know in the forums that I frequent. I hope that since I'm sharing information not asking the same question several times, it will be ok.

It strongly looks like all of the windows laptops with 1920x1200 screens will no longer being available from the manufacturers by next year. It's not easy to find one now, in a 17" laptop. The only ones I know of right now are the HP Elitebook 8740w (that's the expensive laptop with the IPS screen for image editing), and the Dell m6500 which is also an expensive workstation. But next model of the HP (even with the Dreamcolor display) has been officially announced as having a 1920x1080 screen, and it's believed the m6500 will go to 1080p as well. Thinkpads, to...there is a rumor that intel is forcing manufacturers to go this route for the next gen of processors/motherboards for laptops (Sandybridge), but no one really knows why.

My intent for this post is just to inform other people like myself who were thinking about buying a new laptop, and want a taller screen, that it's kind of "buy now or miss out" - it appears that in the future, no matter how much money you might be willing to spend you will not be able to get the taller screen on a laptop. At least - not a windows machine. I don't know what kind of resolution the macs will have.

If you think this is not a big deal, don't worry about. I'm not trying to create a debate on the subject. But when I went from a 4:3 monitor to a 16:9 monitor I found it really annoying, and just wanted to let other people who might by looking for at least 16:10 know about it.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow