Started Apr 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pesitalia
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
E-5 settings and IQ difference between OOC JPG and RAW files
Apr 26, 2011

I got my E-5 a few weeks ago and I’m still learning the menu options. Would like to ask your comments/input on some base settings which I have chosen after several test in daylight as well as artificial light.

Mode-> natural with sharpness=+1, contrast=0, saturation=0
Gradation-> auto (very effective in high contrast situations)
Noise filter-> off
Default ISO-> 200
White balance-> Auto with A=0, G=+1 (manual balance when required)

With these settings I usually get OOC JPG ‘Fine’ pictures which are well detailed, with nice balance of colors and reasonably low noise especially at low ISO. However I have noticed that the equivalent RAW files converted via LR 3.3 always provide more detailed pictures with finer details (less muddy if you wish) and a fantastic tridimensional effect. This holds true with all of my lenses (ZD 9-18, ZD 12-60, ZD 50, ZD 50-200, PL 25, PL 14-150), it is more pronounced with some with respect to others but always visible.

I must say that such difference can be perceived only when viewing the pictures at 1:1 or higher rates on the 1680x1050 screen of my NB. Considering how much credit was given to the OOC JPG quality of this camera I was surprised to notice this remarkable difference. Wondering if it is just me or anyone else noticed the same gap. One more note, LR 3.3 is set to defalut values except for sharpening (factor=50) and luminance NR between 0 and 30 depending on the picture.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow