nekrosoft13
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D video Playback on PC and conversion to DVD
In reply to 24Peter, Apr 25, 2011

24Peter wrote:

mevbo wrote:

Jeff Peterman

I have a 3ghz pent4 processor and 2 gb ram. Should be okay I would think, it is a bit dated, but still rocks with most programs.

With regard to your playback issue, your specs are actually pretty dated and for $500-700 you could get a new system that would really rock most programs. But more importantly, I think you're having codec issues. I'd really consider moving the Win 7 since it has native support for .mov files from your 7D and even the weakest spec laptops I've seen play back video from Canon's DSLR's pretty nicely with Windows 7. You may have compatibility issues moving to Windows 7 though if your current system is XP; Vista you're in better shape. But again, for a modest investment you get a new OS and up-to-date hardware.

On the DVD conversion issue, that's all about your software. I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 (which ships with DVD Architect 5.2) which makes converting my DSLR files to DVD files easy. But there are plenty of other solutions for that out there, some of which may be free.
--
View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

files from 7d might end with .mov, but they are not quicktime files. 7d files are composed of H264 video and PCM audio (not 100% sure), quicktime is not required or necessary to playback those files. on XP all you need is ffdshow, and 7 will play them back in WMP.

FFDshow and WMP (on 7, maybe also on vista), will use video card to accelerate playback, in FFDshow you have to enable DXVA, while WMP12 does it automatically. Quicktime on PC will not accelerate video.

nekrosoft13's gear list:nekrosoft13's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow