Started Apr 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?
Re: More please?
In reply to Alupang, Apr 22, 2011

Alupang wrote:

headofdestiny wrote:

Another thing to consider is that, due to angle light rays interacting with a digital sensor, EV differences aren't usually linear when you get faster than f2.8 or so. ie, you may only get something like a .5 or .7 EV advantage with the f2 version over the f2.8. Of course, it just depends on the lens, so you'd need to test it out. If you're ok with Summicron 35 pre-asph performance, the Contax G 35 is another option (they're very similar in design and mtf.)

For handheld low light candid shooting, even a half a stop is easily worth the $100-$200 difference between the 2.0 and 2.8 C--considering the Nex does not have IBIS. The Contax only has adapter focusing (wonder how smooth that feels) with no distance scale and dof markings.

It's a tough call here between the ZM 35 2.0 and 2.8 C. I chose the C 1st because I don't shoot handheld that often. But if I was more into that sort of thing, the 2.0 all the way.

You might consider the Nokton 35/1.4 for candid, lowlight shooting. It isn't a great architecture/technical lens, but it is good for people shooting. Of course, the Nokton 35/1.2 is even better, if you can deal with the size. I'm not sure that the 1 stop difference between the two Biogons is worth owning both.

As long as you leave the Contax G 35 always attached to the adapter, you can mark distance scales onto the focus ring, after doing your own measuring. The focusing isn't super smooth, but it is usable.

I'm considering selling either my Contax G 35/2 or Nokton 35/1.4, because they aren't seeing a lot of use after I got the C-Biogon 35/2.8. Rather than carrying 2 35mm lenses around, I find myself just switching to my 50/1.5 if the light goes down.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow