ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jsoulful53
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Nikon 5100 or A55
Apr 22, 2011

Hi all,

I'm in need of some advice and after looking around this website for a few days now and reading other posts, I knew this would be the best place to ask!

I've been using a Canon sx120is for a few years now on the manual setting. I adjust the f stops, shutter speed, ISO, White Balance and use the cumbersome manual focus.

I'm ready to expand my knowledge of photography and create deeper pictures with a better depth of field. I'm very excited for a manual focus on the lens itself instead of moving around dials. I'm ready to move up into DSLR happiness

There is so much I still need to learn and I'm excited to do so. I've put my thoughts on the cameras below, but with all of the things I'm just beginning to learn about while doing camera research (bracketing, remote flash, others I don't even know) I'm hoping you all can shed some light on this!

Here are my thoughts:

The 5100 is appealing as it has the same sensor as the 7000 along with a high ISO rating of 25,600. Considering I dislike flash and prefer natural light, yet hate Noise (who doesn't!) I figured that would be a good option. I'm a band director and the HD video is appealing to me, especially with the audio out jack! I don't like that there's only 95% in the view finder and that there's no programmable memory.

The a55 is appealing as it has many of the same features of the 5100, yet there's 100% in the EVF. It also has more auto focus points, although I don't know if this is important. Is it? I know it isn't a true DSLR though.

I've also been considering the D90, but the lack of quality video recording and and older sensor for a higher price is putting me off. I know the d90 is a better camera, but it really comes up short in the ISO department. I really want the 7000, but can't afford it.

Those are my thoughts. I've attached some of my shots

jsoulful53's gear list:jsoulful53's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow