Does SLRn follow Sunny 16 Rules for longer exp.?

Started Apr 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
Does SLRn follow Sunny 16 Rules for longer exp.?
Apr 22, 2011

A while back (last week) I was looking into the 14n, but enough people said good things about the SLR/n that made me do some research. I'm really really low on money and I must move in or about a month. But I have alway's wanted a Kodak DSLR since 2005. Now I will not let any of my life's difficulties prevent me from getting one. Back then in 2005 I liked the SLR/c because I had Canon glass. I still do, but since then I have slowly been purchasing second hand Nikkor AI and AIS primes. I have 24, 28, 35, 50, 85, 135, 200 and 300mm's and 3 zooms. So I'm now looking at the SLR/n - at last!

I prefere manual focusing because it's more fun than pointing and shooting with AF. My D1H uses all my Nikkor lenses and I do like this set up. But I'd also like FF in a portable combo. Also the Nikkor glass is smaller and lighter than my Canon L glass and that's also important for me. Lastly the Kodak SLR/n is smaller and lighter than my 1DsMkII. Since the SLR/n is also FF and that is what I want, to be able to use my Nikkor glass at their design FL - for my fun . I also use FM2n and F2 but I notice I have fallen behind on getting my negatives developed and prints made. I have at least 10 rolls awaiting developement. I like digital because it's immediate and I can print from home, I have 5 printers of various output sizes from 4" x 6" to 24" x 36". I usually print something every day. It's one of the tings in life that keeps me going.

Now back to my reasons for this post. According to the in camera settings for Longer Exposure the ISO will set the Tv to the chart below.

Example's:
ISO 50 2 sec. 4 sec. 8 sec. 15 sec.
ISO 25 n/a 4 sec. 8 sec. 15 sec. 30 sec. 60 sec.
ISO 12 n/a n/a 8 sec. 15 sec. 30 sec. 60 sec.
ISO 6 n/a n/a n/a 15 sec. 30 sec. 60 sec.

The Sunny 16 Rules State on a Sunny Day with Stromg Shadows Set the TV to match the ISO, then Set the Av to f/16. I have been doing this for a couple of years. Of course there is more to it, for each change in lighting condition with less light you open the Av 1 full f/ stop. You can juggle the Tv and Av settings and wok out equivalent settings that work with your prefered Av or Tv, within these rules. Also with a dslr you can juggle the ISO around and that revises the Tv/Av settings.

Any way using the SLR/n in camera Long Exposure settings from above I have worked out that for the following settings of ISO/Tv I can use f/1.4. I have 3 lenses that are f/1.4 that can be mounted on the Kodak SLR/n. My Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AIS, my German made Oreston 1.8/50 Meyer-Optik Gorlits in M42 mount with anNikon F adapter and my Pentax K mount 50mm f/1.7 withan Nkion F adapter. I already have the adapters for both.

ISO 50 Tv 2 seconds f/1.4
ISO 24 Tv 4 seconds f/1.4
ISO 12 Tv 8 seconds f/1.4

Anyway Kodak say's these low ISO's are calibrated, so is the calibration set for the Sunny 16 Rules and will my settings work? If anyone knows of other way's to set low and slow ISO and then have full control of TV Please let me know as I wouild like to use my other Nikkor primes.

Is it as simple as the "Long" 2 second exposure time and ISO's above those on the chart (50/25/12/6 ISO). Perhaps something like ISO 100? Since I do not have the camera I'm finding it difficult to know all the ISO settings. I do know about the lowest normal ISO of 160. Is there an ISO 80 and ISO 100 like those of the 14n? That would help. I wish to use low ISO's because, well because this feature reminds me of film. As many people know film is available from ISO 25 and up. I'd like to try some landscape photography at that speed and even ISO 12. I do not see at this time how to use ISO 6, unless there is something I have yet to learn about this camera.
Thanks in advance for your help.

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow