Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ecxs
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Couple Not Happy with Engagement Shoot
Apr 21, 2011

I just heard back from a couple who I shot an engagement session with last Saturday. I had posted some of their edited photo's online and told them I would be posting more and will have the raw images for her by tonight. They said that they were displeased with the pictures and want all of them taken down from my site. They said they wanted to pick shots from the raw images themselves to post online. I obliged and told them that I would have all the raw images by tonight. However, I have a feeling that they will be canceling my service for their wedding and will be wanting a refund for the deposit.

Honestly I thought the shots came out really nice. When I do these kinds of sessions I always make sure I get raw emotion out of the couple...to capture real instead of forced smiles. I also like romantic looks and relaxed poses to convey a feeling of love between the bride and her fiancée. I think I was able to achieve both and felt happy about how they turned out. There were, however, some challenges doing the shoot. For one thing, the couple came in plain white t-shirts, jeans and sneakers. A few days before the shoot I emailed her with some clothing guidelines...no prints or loud colors, stay with solid coordinated colors etc. etc. I suggested she wore a nice casual dress and her fiancée to come with jeans and a sports jacket/coat to match the scenery (we were shooting in a beautiful courtyard with European inspired architecture) so I was puzzled as to why they decided to come in plain white t's. Second, there were times when the couple wanted their own poses and didn't like what I was telling them to do. For the most part her fiancée preferred monkeying around the shoot instead of listening to what I was trying to tell him so I was a little annoyed but in spite of all that I was still able to get some good shots... or so I thought.

Anyway, after reading their email, I kind of waited a few minutes for a second email to tell me it was all a joke and that they actually loved the pics ...but as it turned out, it wasn't a joke. At this point I'm already thinking of backing out and giving them their money back because I feel like it's eventually going to boil down to a matter of artistic taste and chemistry between me and the couple. If I don't have their trust it's not going to work.

So, I'm interested to know what you guys would do if put in the same situation...

E

ecxs's gear list:ecxs's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow