Need some re-assurance: Canon 70-200mm f/4 non-IS vs. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Need some re-assurance: Canon 70-200mm f/4 non-IS vs. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II
Apr 21, 2011

Currently, I have the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM II. I bought it new about two months ago. Also, I should add that I have also owned the Canon 70-200mm f/4 non-IS in the past. I parted with it for a while, and then decided to get the Sigma, as I figured the 2.8 would come in handy for low-light situations.

I am not sold on the Sigma. It is pretty much unusable (for client photos anyway) at f2.8, and really doesn't start getting sharp until f/4. I also believe there is a very minor front-focusing issue (and it seems to be at the higher apertures). I am pretty sure I am going to turn around and sell the Sigma, and get another copy of the Canon f/4. The Canon f/4 is smaller, quieter, faster-focusing, and in my experience produces amazing photos (above the level of the Sigma). It's also cheaper (much more-so, if I decide to buy used). Don't get me wrong, the Sigma is great at apertures like 5.6 and lower, but... I don't need f/2.8 to do that. I can do that with an f/4 lens.

I just wanted to float this out there and see if anyone had any other perspective I might not have thought of, before pulling the trigger.

Thank you

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow