Should I fix 40D shutter and use as a backup?

Started Apr 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jag64551
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Should I fix 40D shutter and use as a backup?
Apr 21, 2011

Right now, I have a 40D and an XTi. I do the occasional wedding, and some family shoots (as well as personal/family stuff). I am planning to sell my XTi for a little extra money and put it toward a 7D, which would become my primary body.

My question is, should I get my 40D shutter replaced when it goes out (which could be anytime - currently has about 90k shots) and use that as my backup? It is in incredible condition for having that many shots on it, and I haven't had any issues with any of the dials or functions; and I just love the camera (how it functions, the ease of access to controls, etc).

I'm just wondering if it makes sense to spend the $300-$350 or whatever it is to get the shutter replaced? Or should I sell it and get what I can out of it before that happens, and try to get a T1i or T2i (that would be my price range for a backup, if I don't fix the 40D) as my backup.

Does anyone have any experience with the 40D after having the shutter replaced?

Thank you

jag64551's gear list:jag64551's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow