Started Apr 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thr61
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Nikon 80-200 2.8 vs. Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II: Value and Performance
Apr 20, 2011

I have searched on this topic extensively and did not find the opinions as obvious as I had hoped. I have a D7000 and no plans to move to full frame. I shoot a lot of sports and moving kids, dogs, etc.

I am trying to sort out the best value and performance decision between the Nikon 80-200 2.8 (AF) and the Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II.

I can find the Nikon on eBay for about $800. I can get a new one from B&H for about $1,100. I wonder if the $300 difference is worth it for the warranty and peace of mind?

I can find the Sigma used for perhaps $600 and new for $950. Again, the price difference is not so dramatic as to make me consider new.

Then there is the lens itself. I hear nothing but good things about the 80-200 and I given my interest in shooting at fairly high shutter speeds, the lack of VR may not be such a loss. This lens has been around for quite some time and seems to hold its price and make a lot of people happy.

So, I am faced with a range of $600 up to $1,000 and two rather different lenses. I do not want to overbuy or overspend, but I also do not want to regret the lens I choose based on a hundred or so dollars.

Thoughts on these two lenses and this decision?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow