Like?
Re: From 'guess' to 'reckoning'
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 19, 2011

Great Bustard wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

For example, if I capture a photo with 11 stops of DR on my 5D, and save it as a jpg, the 8 bit jpg file can still have 11 stops of DR, but not all levels will be ditinguishable within the range.

I am pretty sure everyone understands that...

Not you, however. Otherwise, you'd not think the DR of the photo was limited by the bit depth.

Here's a question for you. If a sensor had a read noise of 0.5 electrons, and a saturation limit of 40000 electrons, what would the DR be? What role would the bit depth play in encoding that DR?

That's approximately 10.5 stops DR, by my reckoning.

Do tell us how you "approximately reckon" 10.5 stops.

It's irrelevant. Let's call it 1 jillion stops.

• If the camera has a bit-depth greater than 1 jillion stops (1 jillion bits or more), then it can record the full DR that is available from the sensor.

• If the camera has less than 1 jillion stops (e.g. 0.99 jillion bits) then it cannot record the full DR that is available from the sensor.

This is assuming that the camera does not compress the captured DR in-camera. As the point of raw is to record a digital representation of the raw sensor data then such compression seems to be ruled out.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow