Advice on RAM for iMac, please

Started Apr 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,967Gear list
Like?
Re: I buy RAM on eBay, and Aperture from the Apps Store
In reply to mikeval, Apr 18, 2011

I've bought lots of RAM from eBay. Kingston brand is top quality. I would expect any Amazon listed supplier to be good -- they know that Amazon will rip their bloody arms off if they mess around.

I just maxed my 2010 MBP 13" to 8 GB RAM which allowed me to use Cocktail.app (an excellent donation-ware maintenance tool) to turn off memory swapping to the HD so stuff runs entirely in RAM at great speed. Whether this helps you or not with the apps you are working with is a matter to check out, of course.

Aperture -- buy it online at the Apple's App Store. It is priced at about a third of the price they have it in their regular software purchases. Obviously, they want to suck us into the App Store. I understand there'll be no upgrade pricing; currently we're on v.3 -- when v.4 comes out, it will be the full App store price again. But work that out against the full price now.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2010/12/what-does-standard-of-living-mean-in.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow