Started Apr 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,388Gear list
Like?
D7000 and Adobe Camera Raw tips
Apr 16, 2011

I am not saying you should use ACR, but for those who are and have the D7000, you might want to try these settings as opposed the default ones. It is my opinion that the tiny pixels require some gentle care as opposed to the defaults. Here is what I found that seems to produce much better results than ACR default settings.

1- In the ACR window, click on the Basic icon. Use Auto

2- In the Detail icon set sharpness to 50 and Radius to .5 (important)

3- In the Lens Correction icon select Profile and select your lens (be sure to download the latest profiles from Adobe). This will AUTOMATICALLY correct for distortion, chromatic aberration, and vignetting.

4- In the Camera Calibration go to your appropriate camera and lighting conditions. You need a ColorChecker or PassPort ColorChecker and have set up some absolutes. This is a fantastic way of getting the scene absolutely correct. Simply include one shot which has a close-up of PassPort.

Example: If you are at the Grand Canyon at 6:00 in the morning, take the PassPort out of your shirt pocket and photograph is. Now continue on taking GC photos. Later you can use this reference photo to quickly setup a reference. Why guess at color balance, effect of altitude, time of day, etc.

Lastly, before printing, try a more agressive USM, such as .5 at 150%. Remember, you can use different degrees of sharpening with different areas in the photo - like NEVER sharpen a blue sky area - or deep shadows. Smaller prints can take more agressive sharpening, very large prints need less.

Good luck! This works for me and is different from the work flow I used with the D700.

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow