Started Apr 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian Leach
Senior MemberPosts: 1,164
Like?
On my high horse
Apr 15, 2011

There is something which happens in articles/camera talk which gets my goat and I wondered how others feel about it.

The problem is the continual exposure of premium software. I love my hobby but there is no way I could justify £500+ for CS5 and when you add other software like Lightroom, Photomatrix, etc you are in the thousands. Surely there are many people using cheaper/free software and are quite happy.

What really bugs me is when they say ‘photoshop it’ when they should say ‘edit it’. Imagine if people said Canon instead of camera, the nikonians would be up in arms. Software manufactures should expect the same level playing field.

When I was a college teacher I had access to Photoshop but much preferred to use my own software. It’s not that I don’t appreciate its spec list, but I can usually achieve the same results and with less windows popping up everywhere. Specs aren’t everything; some people may prefer a different interface/approach.

I have met people who don’t know that other choices exist or think only Photoshop can give quality results. There used to be quite a few more editors out there but adobe is given so much free advertising that they didn’t stand a chance.

We should treat software manufacturers as we do camera manufactures on not keep plugging Photoshop.

Rant over, thanks Ian
http://www.iansphotoblog.com/

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow