Started Apr 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
petrhino
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Baby Portrait Lens Advice
Apr 15, 2011

I own a crop camera (T2i), which I purchased last year in advance of my daughter being born. She is 6 months old now and my photography is really all about her at this point. I am seeking advice/opinions on lens combos to capture her.

I currently own the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 primes and the non-L 70-300 IS USM zoom. I also have a 430EXII flash. Most of my photos are taken of my daughter indoors, without flash.

I find that the 85 prime and my 70-300 zoom are way too long indoors on my crop body. The 50 is okay much of the time, but can be too long, especially since we have a smallish home.

I’m attracted to primes for their fast speed and light weight, but I am not ruling out zooms. So, considering that indoor portraits of my daughter are far and away the number one priority, I wonder if anyone can offer opinions on the following lenses.

Primes I’m considering:

Canon 35/2.0: Cheapest of everything I’m considering, would be nice to have something wider than my 50 indoors. How sharp is it wide open?

Sigma 30/1.4: I’m attracted to the build quality of this lens and its speed. Have read about AF problems. Have also read that wide open some prefer to MF, which I am not interested in. At F 2.0 would this be sharper than the Canon 35 above?

Canon 50/1.4 or Sigma 50/1.4: Either would replace my 50/1.8. How much better are these?

Canon EF-S 60/2.8 macro: Though it seems a little crazy to get a longer and slower lens given what I have described, people seems to love this lens, especially for portraits. This would also be a replacement for the 50/1.8. Is it too slow? I could always use it with the flash, but I don’t always feel like mounting the flash.

If I went the prime route, I would maybe consider getting two, either the canon 35 or the Sigma 30 along with one of the two 50’s mentioned above or the 60.

Zooms I’m considering:

Canon 17-55/2.8 IS USM: This would negate the need for buying two primes above, which would be convenient since I wouldn’t have to switch lenses, though this would cost the most. I’ve never held this lens. Should I be worried about how heavy it is? I assume this can be shot wide open indoors in low light with good results?

Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6: Covers a great range, and people seem to rave about IQ, but is it too slow for indoor portraits?

Anyhow, thanks for weighing in!

petrhino's gear list:petrhino's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow