Started Apr 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fotogeneticist
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Modified Sunpak 16R Pro Ring Flash Portrait Results
Apr 14, 2011

I had been searching for a lightweight, no-fuss ring flash for my Nikon D700. I had looked at the flash head attachments such as the Ray Flash and Orbis, but they just seemed too clumsy. I also considered the ABR-800, but that was way too large. Finally, I came across the perfect ring flash, the Sunpak 16R Pro. Several reviews said that there's not enough power in it (GN of 16m only), but with my D700's high ISO capabilities, that's more than enough for all the apertures and ranges I'd expect to use it for. It even has a modeling light (4 LED's at each of the corners)In addition, in order to increase the flash area, I created a reflector out of aluminum foil taped to a folder that I cut into a circular strip and connected. I'm extremely pleased with the results. Here's what the handmade reflector looks like attached via velcro to the ring flash and my 85mm f/1.8 lens:

Here's the reflector folded for no-fuss storage. I also have a Lowepro 50AW sliplock pouch that the entire flash and folded reflector fit into.

Here are a couple of initial test portraits I did with them. Straight out of the camera. I like the bare flash look with the soft wrap-around effect. No red eye thus far using the reflector (which several of the reviews of this flash warned about)

The unit cost me about $272 from Adorama. I also use it with wireless flash triggers (cheap eBay Yong Nuo RF-602's) which allows me to use the flash off-camera with other speedlights. This ring flash is a blast to use.
--
http://fotogeneticist.wordpress.com

Fotogeneticist's gear list:Fotogeneticist's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +15 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow