Started Apr 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jungleexplorer
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Time for a SLR. But which one?
Apr 14, 2011

OK. I just tried out the Fujifilm HS20 and I hated it. It disappointed me in every test I put it through. I have owned three digital cameras up to this point. The Sony Mavica CD-500, the Sony DSC-V1, and the Canon SD1100IS. I have loved all of the cameras, but the V1 the most of all because it let me have some manual control when I needed it.

After a year of research I settled on the HS20. I just wanted something that was better then what I have had in the past. After several test, pitting the HS20 against my SD1100IS and my V1 (which I still have and use), I could not say that the HS20 was superior to either of them respectively other then the 30X zoom lens. The SD1100 produced much better IQ (contrast, white balance etc.), macro and video. The V1 kicked the HS20 to the curb in low light test. As far as video goes, the HS20 is a joke with NO redeeming factors. Jumpy, laggy and with constant loud grinding and clicking noises the HS20's video was unusable. The SD100 and V1 produced much more watchable video then the HS20 even though it was of lower quality.

So here I am at square one again. I am still convinced that the HS20 is one of the best megazooms on the market. But all that says is that for me to move from what I have owned to a megazoom of any kind is a step down, not a step up. This is sad because so many people think these cameras are better because they are newer, as I did. So that leaves me with of choice of buying another P&S like the SD110IS or an SLR.

I know next to nothing about buying a DSLR. I am looking at DLRs (with lens) in the $600 range. I would like to add a zoom lens that will get me out close to 300mm to add to my kit in the $100 to $200 range. I am looking at the Canon T3 right now.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+t3&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I am open to advice.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow