S95 if all I want is a 4x optical zoom is it the "best"?

Started Apr 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,488
Like?
S95 if all I want is a 4x optical zoom is it the "best"?
Apr 12, 2011

There's a ton of threads on this forum concerning the S95. Let's cut to the chase:

I have an SD700. I consider it to be one of the best little silver cameras Canon ever came up with. But I'm willing to acknowledge that times have change and maybe there's something better out there. I'm almost keeping it around for old time's sake. Or is it still as good as I think it is?

I have an SD900. 10 megs on a 1.8 sensor, Digic 3...sort of sounds almost like an S95 doesn't it? But it starts at 35mm wide. Shots look great till I crop them 100% (which I never used to do) and there's a ton of "noise" even at ISO 100 (which I never used to think about till I started shooting with DSLRs---noise-free to ISO 1600). Am I asking too much for even the newest Canon offerings?

But these are point and shoots we're talking about. I guess I'm to the point where, if I'm going to carry a point and shoot (which I've done for years and still do) can anyone out there who has the experience necessary tell me that I could sell my beloved SD700 and Sd900 and just carry an S95 and, indeed, have "upgraded"???

(caveat: I love the fact the my SDs have optical viewfinders and I'd miss that with the S95, in which case I'd consider a G11/12) but I really really desire a 28 wide at minimum. I love the fact my SDs have 2+ fps continuous shooting but you can't have everything)

It seems Canon comes up with something new every couple of weeks. Now it's CMOS sensors in some of their point and shoots. I'm not opposed to them, either, it's all about the IQ and, I have to admit, reasonably noise-free to at least ISO 400. Whaddaya think?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow